Every HR I talked to recently told 3 of the things below mostly:
✔It is really hard to find good employees
✔Candidates accept a job offer and use it as a negotiating tool with other companies
✔Candidates ask for ridiculously high salaries
What do most of the HR departments do?
Many HR departments still do things in the old school way when they need to recruit for a position. Posting on job boards, engaging recruitment agencies, running ads on social media, etc. To recruit for the same position after several months, the HR department does all the same work again. Some HR departments have implemented excellent HR management systems but only a few have a really good strategy to engage the people whom they talk to every day and grow the network.
“War for Talent” is getting intense. If you want to win, you need to do things differently. One simple way is to develop an excellent marketing system for your HR department.
Some ideas to try:
Imagine that you interviewed a candidate who was excellent but did not fit for the position as his salary expectation was above your salary budget.
- Send him an email with a Thank You note
- Connect with him on social media
- After some days, invite him to follow your company page on social media
- Invite the candidate to your Candidate Marketing Newsletter ( The newsletter system is another idea which is good for engaging a big network of candidates )
- Send greetings to Candidate Newsletter subscribers on special occasions. If you can develop a system that automatically sends personalized greetings to them, that’s great 🙂
- Send every vacancy to the Candidate Newsletter subscribers
- Create referral programs for Candidate Newsletter subscribers
The above are a few ideas only. Depending on what talent you need to attract in the coming 1-3 years for the growth of the company, HR departments need to think strategically and build a strong marketing system. This will gradually make it easy to hire great talent faster which will have a high impact on accelerating the growth of the company.